Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Stop #5: Hot-lanta

 


For those who know me, you know that I love some solo time. Going out to dinner by myself? Hell, yeah! Movie? Bring it! Show? Absolutely. 

Well, the last one was what brought me to Atlanta (lovingly known as Hot-lanta to me) on a quick, overnight solo adventure. This wasn't planned (my most-favorite person in the world--other than my husband and son, of course--Kathleen was supposed to come, too), but did I have a good time? You betcha.

So, my adventures brought me to the area of Little Five Points in Hotlanta to see a band I've seen over 30 times: Steel Pulse. Thankfully, a last-minute find led me to a very cute room in a house owned by a young couple renovating an old home. This stay was only a little over a half-a-mile away from the venue, so I was set. I arrived, napped (because y'all, I'm old and going to a show takes it out of me), put on my compression stockings under my jeans (varicose veins are something fierce), and made my way for a solo beer and the show. 

Walking to the show reminded me how much I LOVE cities. Since this is my blog, I'm going to say it: I love the diversity and inclusion of cities (gasp, DeSantis!). I love seeing people of different backgrounds, I love interacting with people of different backgrounds, and I love seeing signs in people's yards that aren't "Fuck your Feelings," which Florida is so keen towards. Anyways, see some pictures below to see what I mean.



At the show, Steel Pulse brought it, with an hour-and-a-half of racially conscious and uplifting music. If you don't know them, check them out--they used to play with Bob Marley! Anyway, the show was great. I stood in the pit, made friends, danced, and sang my heart out. Was it worth it? Heck ya!




Since I was solo, I didn't have much that was added to my list other than what I already know: music and dancing moves my soul, as does being in places that open my mind. 

Oh, and fun sighting: I was in a cool restaurant co-op type place (Krog Street Market) for my next-morning coffee and pastry, and as I was sitting there, two men and a lady were talking at the long table I was at and a mom and her son came up to ask to take a picture with the two men. I had no clue who they were, but then I heard Stranger Things, so I did a quick Google search: I was sitting next to the Duffer brothers! Now, to you, that might be exciting. To me, I haven't seen the series, but I thought you might care.

Next stop: Birmingham, AL. Keep weird, people!


No comments:

Post a Comment