Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Stop #6: The BHam

 


Those backs of heads right there are some of the Griffins' favorite people: Brad (aka, Marcus Aurelius) and Kathleen (aka, KBubs). They live in Birmingham, AL, and we might have visited them as many times as I've seen Steel Pulse (hah! maybe not, but we try to swing up there as much as possible because they're awesome).

Anyway, I went to BHam because KBubs couldn't come to Atlanta to see the show with me and party in the Hotlanta. So, when KBubs can't come, I go to her. What followed was a list of many amusement rides in the place I like to call Busbee-land:

1) Catching up on a one hour drive to pick up one of their daughters
2) Hanging with their four kids and multiple friends who happen to be over
3) Avoiding getting farted on by Gus, the dog 
4) Avoiding stepping on their other pets: another dog, a cat, a turtle, and probably at least two other pets I don't know about
5) Driving around town to see the sights and having dinner with Marcus Aurelius and KBubs
6) Sneaking into a show that we didn't have tickets for
7) Being the adult driver in the passenger seat as one of their teens practices driving around the neighborhood
8) Visiting with some of their many friends around town (special shout out to Phil and Elizabeth who were SO welcoming and even made a sign for when we arrived for cocktails. What a brilliant, welcoming idea!)
9) Going shopping at Plato's Closet
10) Being so hungry that we wait 20 minutes for hotdogs at Costco
11) Being unable to then shop at Costco because for some reason they close at 6 on Saturdays
12) Going elsewhere to get food for dinners
13) Walking 5 miles for exercise

I'm sure I didn't hit it all, but Busbee-land is always a great time. Really. It's so unlike our home life, which is what I love and appreciate so much. They show me that families look different, but at the root is love. How could you go wrong? 

Not much made my list of take-aways, but that's probably because I was too busy laughing and having fun. I do know KBubs ranks #1 as the most welcoming person in this Universe, and it's a place I strive to be in this world. She shows me that you don't have to have everything in order to invite people into your life. You just invite, and let them come along for the ride. 

Oh, and look at one of the pictures of Sila at camp--isn't he so pretty??





No comments:

Post a Comment